During the Shimla Summit of 1914, Tibet and British India signed an agreement defining their common border in the Assam Himalayan region, known as the McMahon Line. With this agreement, Tibet released several hundred square miles of its territory, including Tawang, to the British India. Originally, the Tawang district was a subdivision of the West Kamen district until October 5, 1984. The district is located in most of Arunachal Pradesh, at the western end of a ridge that runs along the western part of the town of Tawan. A popular interpretation is that the name "Tawan" was given by his Holiness Melara Maro Dregazzo. On October 6, 1984, this Tawan Subdivision became a full-fledged district separated from the West Kamen district of Arunachal Pradesh.
It is famous for its 400-year-old monastery. This monastery is one of the largest Buddhist monasteries in India and is an important pilgrimage center for Buddhist believers.
The total area of the district is 2085km2.
Tawan has a total of three subdistricts.
There are 218 villages in this area.
There is only one town in this area.
All District of Arunachal Pradesh
On February 16, 2004, the Hawaii-based Anjau district was est..
The scenic hill-covered Changlan district is located in the s..
About East Kameng
]Until 1914, East Kamen was part of Assam..